Stupid Facts: Household Solutions
- Flies or bees bothering you? Spray them with hairspray and they will
take a quick dive.
- Sealed envelope - Put in the freezer for a few hours, then slide a
knife under the flap. The envelope can then be resealed.
- Use Empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords. It keeps them
neat and you can write on the roll what appliance it belongs to.
- For icy door steps in freezing temperatures: get warm water and put
Dawn dishwashing liquid in it. Pour it all over the steps. They won't
- Crayon marks on walls. A damp rag, dipped in baking soda. Comes of
with little effort.
- Permanent marker on appliances/counter tops. Use rubbing alcohol on
- Cut S.O.S. cleaning pads in halves or quarters with a pair of scissors.
You will waste less dirty, smelly, rusty pads. This also keeps scissors
- Blood stains on clothes. Pour a little peroxide on a cloth and proceed
to wipe off every drop of blood.
(see Human Blood)
- Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and horizontal for
inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks. Straight
vinegar will get outside windows really clean. Don't wash windows on
a sunny day. They will dry too quickly and will probably streak.
- Spray a bit of perfume on the light bulb in any room to create a lovely
light scent in each room when the light is turned on. Place fabric softener
sheets in dresser drawers and your clothes will smell freshly washed
for weeks to come. You can also do this with towels and linen.
- Candles will last a lot longer if placed in the freezer for at least
3 hours prior to burning.
- To clean artificial flowers, pour some salt into a paper bag and add
the flowers. Shake vigorously as the salt will absorb all the dust and
dirt and leave your artificial flowers looking like new.
- To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop
or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring
to a boil on stovetop.
- Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in
tomato based sauces and there won't be any stains.
- When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of
the dry cake mix instead and there won't be any white mess on the outside
of the cake.
- Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and
it will keep for weeks.
- When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out
the corn's natural sweetness.
- Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your
forehead. The throbbing will go away.
- Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for
future use in casseroles and sauces.
(see Ordering Wine)
- To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the area
and you will experience instant relief.
- Ants, ants, ants everywhere. They are said to never cross a chalk
line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever
ants tend to march.
- Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job and leaves
a lovely smell to the shine.
- When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting
to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter,
then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and
- Uses for Alka Seltzer:
- Clean a toilet. Drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets, wait twenty
minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action
clean vitreous China.
- Clean a vase. To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase
or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets.
- Polish jewelry. Drop two Alka Seltzer tablets into a glass of
water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
- Clean a thermos bottle. Fill the bottle with water, drop in four
Alka Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary).
- Unclog a drain. Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka Seltzer
tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar.
Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water.
previous | next
Stupid Facts -
Stupid Games -
Stupid Jokes -
Stupid News -
Stupid People -
Stupid Pictures -
Stupid Stuff -