Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees:
There's no longer any question whether transit companies
should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower
shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select
the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage.
Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:
1. Pick young married women. They usually have more
of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they're less
likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn't be doing
it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with
the public efficiently.
2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones
who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older
women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting
themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy. It's always
well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and
3. General experience indicates that "husky" girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even
tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.
4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a
special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This
step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit,
but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which
would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.
5. Stress at the outset the importance of time; the
fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads
on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to
be slowed up.
6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule
of duties so that they'll keep busy without bothering the management
for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women
make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but
that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.
7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change
from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined
to be less nervous and happier with change.
8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods
during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology.
A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her
hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a
9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making
criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can't shrug off harsh words
the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts
off her efficiency.
10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language
around women. Even though a girl's husband or father may swear vociferously,
she'll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much
11. Get enough size variety in operator's uniforms so
that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can't be stressed too
much in keeping women happy.